The Authority, as guardian of the EEA Agreement, is under an obligation to ensure that the EFTA Countries apply EEA legislation correctly. Within the field of food and feed safety, animal health and welfare that is partly done through on-the-spot inspections.
Audits and on-spot inspections are important tools for the Authority to assess the EFTA EEA Countries application of the EEA-legislation in the field of food and feed safety, animal health and welfare.
The Authority co-operates closely with the Food and Veterinary Office (FVO) of the European Commission, which carries out similar inspections in the EU Member States. To ensure a harmonised approach, inspectors from the Authority participate regularly as observers in inspections carried out by the Commission, and vice versa.
The Food Safety Unit of the Authority has a long term mission program subject to annual review, taking a number of factors into consideration, some of which are mentioned here:
- new legislation applicable in the member states;
- findings, conclusions and recommendations of the last mission on the topic;
- unsatisfactory or no response in the follow-up evaluation of previous missions;
- emerging topics such as animal diseases or zoonoses;
- the mission plan of the FVO;
- the relevance of the field in the EFTA States to be inspected/audited;
Each year the Authority prepares an inspection plan which, in addition to being published on this site, is sent to Iceland and Norway and the FVO:
The Authority prepares a report from all missions that are carried out. These reports are published here:
- Control system for animal health
- Control system for food of animal origin
- Control system for imports of animals and food of animal origin
- Control system for feedingstuffs and animal nutrition
- Control system for transmissible spongiform encephalopaties and for animal by-products
- Control system for veterinary medicines and residues
- Control system for foodstuffs and food hygiene
- Control system for imports of food of plant origin
- Control system for plant protection products
- Control system for animal welfare