Private persons and companies may lodge a complaint with the Authority against Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway if they consider national legislation or administrative measures to be incompatible with a provision or principle of EEA law. Complaints relating to infringements by EU Member States of their EEA law obligations should be lodged with the European Commission.

A complainant is not required to demonstrate a formal interest in bringing proceedings or show that they are principally and directly concerned by an alleged infringement. To be admissible, a complaint must relate to an infringement of EEA law by an EEA EFTA State, including at central, regional or local levels

You can file a complaint concerning a breach of EEA law by Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein using this form.

Please be aware that even if a complaint is received, the Authority is not obliged to open formal infringement procedures – even if it considers that a breach has occurred.·       

  • If the Authority does formally follow up on your complaint, its aim in doing so is to ensure the laws of the EEA State in question are brought fully into line with EEA law and correctly applied. The Authority does not pursue cases to resolve individual issues.
  • The Authority cannot provide you with legal advice or legal representation.
  • This means that any action by the Authority in response to a complaint is very unlikely to resolve your personal situation directly.

In order to resolve your personal situation, or be awarded compensation, you should take action locally, in the State concerned.

  • if solving your problem requires a national decision to be annulled, only national courts can do this;
  • if you are seeking compensation for damages, only national courts have the power to order authorities in their jurisdiction to award this.

If the EFTA Court confirms a breach of EEA law, the EEA State in question has to take action to remedy the breach.

Please be aware that submitting a complaint to the Authority does not suspend the time limits for legal action under national law.

Should you wish to submit a complaint to ESA, please do not include any unnecessary personal data. Personal data such as contact information should only be provided in part 1 of the complaint form.

Any person or company facing a problem concerning an issue covered by the EEA Agreement may also submit a complaint to the SOLVIT Centre in their home state, especially if the issue they are facing seems to be a specific case of misapplication of EEA law affecting their EEA rights, and the case has not yet gone to court.

Disputes between private parties concerning the interpretation or application of EEA law provisions should be pursued at national level.

The information in this section applies to complaints concerning breaches of EEA law excluding complaints relating to competition and state aid rules, which are dealt with in the competition and state aid sections of ESA's website.

Other EEA Institutions

This website is built with Eplica CMS